Godana Doyo – Biography
Godana Doyo was born in 1970 in Moyale. He is a Kenyan politician and currently the Governor for Isiolo county. He is a member of United Republic Party and a coalition member of Jubilee Alliance.
After his primary school he spent most of his time outside his home district for his high schools and tertiary education. He attained a law degree from the University of Nairobi after which he worked shortly in some law firms in Nairobi. He went on to work with a variety of civil society organizations focussing on human rights, specifically those touching on the land rights of pastoralists and minority groups in Kenya.
In recognition of his active participation and indefatigable services among pastoral communities, he was elected as the chairman of the pastoralists and hunter-gatherers organization and the chairman of the Northern development forum. While in the Kenya pastoralists forum (KPF) he spearheaded the ground breaking formulation of the constitutional rights of marginalized and minority groups as their legal advisor and representative at the National Convention Assembly (NCA) and the National Convention Executive Council (NCEC). These were dubbed as the Ufungamano House constitutional debates.
Godana Doyo – Education Background
He is currently pursuing a comparative PhD study that focuses on native land rights in natural resources, focusing on mining and other extractive industries.
He holds a masters degree in Law (LLM by research)
Undergraduate student of the University of Nairobi, Degree in Law.
Godana Doyo – Political Positions
- March 2013 : Governor for Isiolo county.
- Member of Jubilee Alliance
- Member of URP
Godana Doyo – Job History
Godana Doyo has served as an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya
In Australia he worked as the innovation coordinator of assets
he worked shortly in some law firms in Nairobi. He went on to work with a variety of civil society organizations focussing on human rights, specifically those touching on the land rights of pastoralists and minority groups in Kenya.
Godana Doyo – Contacts
Contacts will be updated soon…
Godana Doyo – Achievements
- During most of his adult working life, Godana has made Isiolo his home, and worked very hard to raise its profile as one of the victims of the colonial and post-colonial cocktails of injustice perpetrated against NFD residents. At the crux of his monumental achievements was the pioneering work on ”Daaba” which exposed the mass murder and plunder of properties of the pastoral residents, especially in the three concentration camps in the north of the district.
- He championed the land rights of the Isiolo people and created legal awareness of the same among civic leaders, civil society, and the general public. He worked with local organizations like waso trust land to defend and preserve the rights of the local communities.
- He also went to court to stop excision of vast chunks of land gazetted as Nyambene National reserve in 2000.
- He has recently partnered with MID-P and NGO leaders to protest against Chinese exploration of oil and gas in Basa that excluded and displaced local communities.
- Godana Doyo also represented Isiolo in the Bomas National Constitutional Conference where together with CEMERIDE he organized the pastoralists delegates advisory panel that gave the brief on issues that pertained to marginalized and minority rights and interests. One of the historical milestones achieved in bomas was the entrenchment of devolved government which Godana and other like-minded delegates crafted and lobbied for.
- Godana Doyo served as a founding commissioner of the Kenya National Commission on Human Rights.
Godana Doyo – Membership
Member of the Pan-African Programme on Land and Natural Resources Rights
Godana Doyo is a fellow of the Chevening Scholarship
Godana Doyo – Qualifications
Godana Doyo had since attained a masters in law (LLM by research) which pioneered the study of land rights in pastoral Borana and Massai communities in Kenya. He is currently pursuing a comparative PhD study that focuses on native land rights in natural resources, focusing on mining and other extractive industries. Godana has managerial and financial experience gained at KNCHR as well as at several other NGOs. In Australia he worked as the innovation coordinator of assets, a project funded under the auspices of Australia’s Job Services and managed by the department of Education, Employment and Workspace Rights.
Godana Doyo is a fellow of the Chevening Scholarship and has done a course at the University of Glasgow, Scotland. He attended the Young Leadership Visitor Program organized by the State Department of the US and visited over 10 states to gain experience on governance, human rights, global war and conflicts, international relations and civil society. He is an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya and is a member of the Pan-African Programme on Land and Natural Resources Rights. In Kenya’s 2013 general election, Godana vied in the gubernatorial elections, winning as Governor of Isiolo County, alongside Deputy Governor Mohamed Gulleid Abdille. He was elected on a URP party ticket.
Godana Doyo – News
A senior medical doctor has accused Isiolo Governor Godana Doyo of roughing him up while he was on duty at the county referral hospital.
Medical Superintendent Mohammud Abdikadir recorded a statement with officers of the Directorate of Criminal Investigation on Friday afternoon. County Commissioner George Natembeya yesterday said that a senior county official had also recorded a statement claiming that he was injured and his vehicle damaged by “hired goons” during demonstrations at the Isiolo Level Four Hospital. The demonstrations followed the altercation between Doyo and Dr Abdikadir, as residents opposed the governor’s plans to eject the doctor as the medical superintendent. He had been reinstated by the County Assembly. The altercation was preceded by an impromptu visit by Natembeya. Mr Doyo arrived 30 minutes later and held a separate meeting with the management team. The governor found Natembeya and his security team inspecting the maternity wing, flanked by Abdikadir. Sources said Doyo (pictured) pushed Abdikadir and accused him of being an imposter and giving false information to the media.
Doyo reportedly accused the doctor of working with his opponents to sabotage his administration. Earlier, the doctor had taken the security team on a tour of the laboratory, pharmacy and wards, following complaints about poor state of the hospital. Doyo then ejected Abdikadir, saying the official medical superintendent was Dr Stephen Kiluva. “The County Assembly has no powers to demote or promote any official. Therefore, the person taking you on a tour is an imposter,” Doyo told the county commissioner. But MCAs Hassan Shano and Dahabo Wako insisted Abdikadir was in charge of the hospital and told the governor to address the problems at the facility.
Source : Standard
Godana Doyo – Video